Saturday, May 18, 2013

Amy's Friends



Amy had many friends over the course of her thirty-one years. Most of them were adults, friends of mine, teachers and helpers in her multi-handicapped class. That was one of the many names used over the years for her class of  special-needs children. She had a few teachers and helpers stay in touch with her. The day program she attended for the last 10 years has many helpers that loved her dearly and, I'm told, miss seeing her smiling face on the three days a week that she attended there.

Amy has had three very special young friends throughout  the years.

When Amy was 8 I started watching our neighbor girl after school. She was the same age as Amy. Amy's sister was 10 and they became very good friends.She would visit us a lot in the summer and she just became like a sister to Amy and another daughter to me. She always treated Amy no different than she would treat any other person. As they grew older she and Amy's sister drifted apart with college and work schedules and trying to "find themselves" as everyone needs to do. But the last few years she has stopped by more to visit and was here to visit Amy and stayed the evening with our family to celebrate Amy's last birthday. I felt like our family was complete again. She brought Amy the biggest balloon I have ever seen in my life. Amy adored her adopted sister and she made Amy's  life so much happier as she is one of those people who can make a party out of the littlest thing and everyday was an adventure when she was here. I hope she will stop by now and then just to see me, as I miss her.

The year Amy turned 18 my husband and I joined the youth team in our church. Our youngest daughter was now in youth group and our son would be in a few years. So for the next 8 years we were team leaders and Amy loved going on Sunday evenings to watch the teens play volleyball, other silly games "ice breakers", a time of singing and study. She also enjoyed many outings that we would go on with the kids. I had a group of girls that I discipled from the time they were in 7th grade until they graduated. We would have a few minutes at the end of each meeting to talk about their week, their prayer requests and then we would pray for each other. There was one girl in particular who always talked to Amy and when we prayed she would often be the one who prayed for Amy's needs. When she got married we took Amy to her wedding and Amy really enjoyed it. She moved away and is now expecting her first baby. After Amy died she sent us the sweetest card and a Willow Tree figurine that is titled "Forget-me-not" holding thoughts of you closely.

The last few years God brought another little girl into Amy's life to be her special friend. I think she is about 9 now. She would come say "Hi" to Amy during the welcome time at church. She would make cards, color pictures and make paper bracelets and necklaces for Amy. Her mom is a very special lady who has helped me out by taking care of Amy when my other children were unable to care for her if my husband and I had to be somewhere or just to get away.  She would often bring her daughter with her to be with Amy to play or read stories or listen to music or whatever they would do. It was a very special time for Amy and she loved having them come and stay with her. They visited Amy in the hospital and the whole family including Amy's little friend came to see her the day before she died.  When I asked her mom last week if I could give her something special from Amy this is what she wrote back,
"That is so thoughtful of you. I know she will treasure anything that is Amys. I don't think I told you, but she has a bulletin board by her bed with a few of Amy's pictures that I printed off your facebook page and she wrote "Amy has seen Him" on it and "Amy can run and dance and praise Him with everything she has" on it."

Matthew 21:15,16
But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things He did and the children shouting in the temple courts, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they were indignant.
Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked Him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read, "'From the lips of children and infants You, Lord, have called forth Your praise'?"

 Amy has seen Him, 
Amy can run and dance 
and praise Him with everything she has.

No comments:

Post a Comment