Friday, February 15, 2019

Facebook Memories

If you are familiar with Facebook you will know that they have an "On this day" or "Memories" post to tell you what you posted on Facebook on that specific day for as long as you have had a Facebook account.
Many of my memories bring joy, such as seeing my daughters wedding pictures and pictures of grandkids but some bring sorrow and pain. Some of those that cause grief are of loved ones who are no longer with me or events in my life that has changed, or friendships that have grown distant. I have been aware for the last 5 years now that come the end of February Amy's illness, hospitalizations, and death will be there for me to see. I know that this feature can be "turned off" for a set amount of time or perhaps permanently but I clung to them even though they caused me such pain. But each year it gets a little easier to read and accept what has happened in my life.
Today I received this along with my other memories of the day:

February 15, 2013 9:01PM
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body." 2 Corinthians 4: 7-10

That was all. No comment. Nothing. Just a shared verse.
So I was wondering as to what prompted me to post this verse 6 years ago.
My first recollection of those verses grabbing ahold of my heart will take some explanation. In January 2001 my oldest daughter was in college and she was taking a trip to Israel for college credit. I was able to go along on the trip with the 30 -40 students, 3 professors and a few other adults. I had recently just started studying the Bible, not just a devotion, but actually studying it. One of the professors I really enjoyed talking to as he was so knowledgeable about the Bible. I shared about my life with him and about Amy as we were walking down the hill on the Mount of Beatitudes toward the Sea of Galilee. He shared about his wife. She was very sick battling cancer at that time. Yet he went half way around the world to teach his knowledge of the Holy Land with his college students. He was the kind of man who radiated God's love. When we got back to the college and as we were gathering up our stuff the professor's wife came and they just held each others eyes for the longest time with no words before they embraced.  You know, some memories are engraved in our minds forever and that is one of them.
Soon after that he started a blog. It really wasn't a blog because there was no Facebook or blogging back then, but it was an online diary that he was sharing with others about his wife's illness and how the Lord was working in their lives. When the time came when his wife passed away, the verses he posted were 2 Corinthians 4:7-10. I was so shocked! How could he not feel crushed, or in despair, or forsaken, or even destroyed? He had such a strong faith. I really admired that and wanted the same. The rest of the verse says how.. "always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body."
So I kept on studying the Bible, I kept on trying to live my life for the Lord, taking care of my family and especially my precious Amy. I never forgot those verses and when Amy died I asked the Pastor to use those in her service and two days after she passed away I posted those same verses on Facebook and also added, "Thanks to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ."
So why did I post those verses on Facebook eleven days before Amy was ill and taken to the hospital? I will never know what was on my mind then, but this morning it blessed my heart because I know that God was preparing me six years ago for what I was to face in the weeks ahead. Through the wisdom and faith of a friend eighteen years ago and through the strength of God's words I was able to praise Him through the storm that was to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment