Wednesday, February 14, 2018

For Now We See Through A Glass, Darkly

Since the first of the year Bill and I have been taking a class on grieving at the church we are now attending. We have been reading through the book "Beyond the Broken Heart, A Journey Through Grief" by Julie Yarbrough. It has been a great class and it has helped both of us and also get to know and sympathize with others in the class. The author lost her husband and a few months later her father passed away. As she writes about her father it has brought back so many memories of my own Daddy. I have written about Daddy in other posts so if you have followed my blog you know what a dear man he was to me. He was in fact, my first true love.
Every day he was an example of the love of God to me. From him I learned discipline, dependability, orderliness, commitment, faithfulness and (most important) love. From him I learned that my Heavenly Father loves me with a steadfast unconditional love, because that is the way Daddy always loved me.  I thank God for the extraordinary relationship I had with my earthly father. I will forever cherish the life and memory of the man who I was privileged to call my Daddy.  

I came across this picture tonight, looking for something else. It was taken on the farm about 10 or so years ago. We had gone outside to play in the snow and we threw some snowballs at the window where Daddy was sitting watching us. In the reflection of the glass you can see the bare winter trees, the snow on the ground, and if you know where to look, the post and bird feeders that Daddy made. We are outside in the cold and emptiness but what is so precious to me is what I see inside the glass. Daddy is in the warm, light and life filled home.



  Instantly this Bible verse came into my head, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face." 1 Corinthians 13:12a. I'm sure the verse is talking about something else, but I thought how wonderful it will be to get to heaven and see Daddy again, face to face, without the pain and sorrow, without the limits of age, in the wonderful light and warmth of our Lord.  
I miss him so much. Happy Valentines Day, Daddy, my first true love.

No comments:

Post a Comment